Chapter 2: Equal Opportunity and the Law
1. The ________ Amendment to the U.S. Constitution states, “no person
shall be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of the law.”Fifth
2. The ________ Amendment outlawed slavery, and courts have held that it
bars racial discrimination.Thirteenth
3. In what year was the 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution ratified?
4. The ________ Amendment makes it illegal for any state to “make or
enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges and immunities of
citizens of the United States.”Fourteenth
5. Which amendment is generally viewed as barring discrimination based on
sex, national origin, or race?Fourteenth
6. The ________ gives all persons the same right to make and enforce
contracts and to benefit from the laws of the land.
Civil Rights Act of 1866
7. Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act prohibits discrimination based on all sexual orientation
8. Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act bars discrimination on the part of
most employers, including all public or private employers of ________ or more persons.15
9. What type of organization is covered by Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights
a. private educational institutions
b. private employers of 15 or more persons
c. federal government
d. state government
10. How many members serve on the Equal Employment Opportunity
11. Members of the EEOC are appointed by the ________.
President of the United States
12. Members of the EEOC serve ________ terms.
13. The ________ made it unlawful to discriminate in pay on the basis of sex
when jobs involve equal work, require equivalent skills, effort, and
responsibility, and are performed under similar working conditions.
Equal Pay Act of 1963
14. When companies utilize ________, they take steps to eliminate the present
effects of past discrimination.
15. for equal work under the Equal Pay Act of 1963?
16. Jack is a 55 year-old American of Anglo-Saxon descent. What legislation
is intended to protect Jack from discrimination?